What can I expect when visiting a Chiropractor?
Today’s chiropractic doctor looks for the underlying nervous system involvement’s which can be the cause of many health problems.
- Helping to restore proper spinal biomechanics and improved nervous system function begins with a case history. This gives the doctor a background about your health, such as surgeries, accidents, the onset of your condition and other details affecting your current health.
- After reviewing your history and discussing your specific problem, a thorough orthopedic, neurological, and chiropractic examination is performed. X-rays may be taken to uncover structural and functional problems associated with the spinal column. These examinations help identify areas of spinal malfunction and resulting nervous system deficit.
- The findings of these examinations are explained and a plan of chiropractic adjustments may be recommended. Progress is monitored with periodic examinations and follow-up reports.
- The word “doctor” comes from the Latin word meaning “teacher.” Dr. Driver has a strong commitment to patient education.
How does chiropractic work?
Chiropractic is based upon the understanding that good health depends, in part, upon a normally functioning nervous system. Chiropractic works by helping to restore your own inborn ability to be healthy. When under the proper control of your nervous system, all the cells, tissue, and organs of your body are designed to function well and resist disease and ill health. The chiropractic approach to better health is to locate and help reduce interferences to your natural state of being healthy.
A common interference to the nervous system is the twenty four moving bones of the spinal column. A loss of normal motion or position of these bones can irritate or impair the function of the nervous system. This can disrupt the transmission of controlling nerve impulses.
Chiropractors aim to improve nervous system function primarily through chiropractic adjustments (with particular attention to the spine, skull and pelvis), to help remove any interference that may be impairing normal health.
How Can Chiropractic Help Me?
Most often, people go to Chiropractors the first time for relief from back pain. However, chiropractors can help with so much more, including helping patients achieve higher levels of health than they ever expected. Moreover, people don’t need to have a specific complaint to benefit from a visit. Chiropractors also focus on on-going preventive and wellness care. Chiropractic care is effective for people of all ages, from infants to the elderly.
What is an adjustment?
There are hundreds of ways to adjust the spine.
- A chiropractic adjustment is the art of using a specific force in a precise direction, applied to a joint that is fixed, “locked up”, or not moving properly. This adds motion to the joint, helping the bones gradually return to a more normal position and motion. The purpose of this safe and natural procedure is improved spinal function, nervous system function and health.
- There are many ways to adjust the spine. Usually, the doctor’s hands or a specially designed instrument delivers a brief and highly accurate thrust. Some adjusting methods are quick, whereas others require a slow and constant pressure.
- After years of training and clinical experience, each chiropractic doctor becomes highly skilled in the delivery of a variety of adjusting approaches.
Can I just get adjusted once and be all done?
When chiropractors adjust, there is more to the vertebral subluxation complex than just bones.
- The vertebrae in your back are supposed to move freely in all directions. There should not be any irritation in the small pain sensitive facet joints that are up and down the spine.
- However, trauma or other injuries may occur that prohibit the spine from moving correctly. This also causes irritation in the muscles, ligaments, nerves, tendons, and other surrounding soft tissues. Needless to say, usually the bone is never the only thing which needs to be fixed.
- This is why it takes some time for you to get better. Your body is a wonderful healer, it heals cuts, scraps, broken bones; it just takes some time. You do need to be patient and follow your doctor’s orders to heal quickly.
Is chiropractic care safe?
Chiropractic care is safer than back surgery, muscle relaxers and even common aspirin!
- In the words of the New Zealand government’s inquiry, chiropractic care is “remarkably safe”.
- Chiropractic has an excellent safety record. It is the result of a conservative approach to health that avoids invasive procedures or addictive drugs.
- A thorough case history and examination help reveal areas of the spine that may be causing nervous system malfunction. This information will be used to determine the best course of care for each patient.
- Chiropractic care is a natural approach to better health that is proven safe and effective.
Can children have chiropractic care?
Chiropractic has been shown to be helpful with colicky babies, reflux, constipation, ear infections, asthma, allergies, bedwetting and many other so-called “normal” childhood health problems.
- Since significant spinal trauma can occur at birth, many parents have their newborns checked for Vertebral Subluxation Complex.
- Later, learning to walk, ride a bicycle and other childhood activities can cause spinal problems. While a bandage and some comforting words can help a skinned knee, the unseen damage to the child’s spine is the unique domain of a chiropractic doctor.
- Many childhood health complaints that are brushed off as “growing pains” can often be traced to the spine. Regular chiropractic checkups can identify these problems and help avoid many of the health complaints seen later in adults.
- Naturally, chiropractic adjusting procedures are modified to a child’s spine. Most parents report that their children enjoy their chiropractic adjustments and seem healthier than other children.
How long will I need chiropractic care?
- Spinal problems, neglected since early childhood, may require ongoing supportive care for optimum spinal function. These long-standing problems are often associated with muscle weakness, soft tissue damage, and degenerative changes to the spine.
- Most patients find that periodic chiropractic checkups help keep them in tip-top shape. Those who are active, have stressful jobs, or want to be their very best, find that a schedule of preventive visits is helpful in the maintenance of good health.
- Some patients seek chiropractic care only when their ache or pain becomes unbearable. While this style of “crisis management” is usually more costly and time-consuming, our office stands ready to help all patients, regardless of their health goals.
- How long you decide to benefit from chiropractic care is always up to you.
Am I too old for chiropractic care?
Regardless of your age, chiropractic care can help improve mobility and maintain vitality.
- More and more people are consulting chiropractic doctors, especially in their later years. With growing concerns about over-medication and the side effects of combining various prescription drugs. Chiropractic is safe, natural and is growing in popularity within the aging community.
- Restoring better spinal function can help improve mobility, vitality, endurance and appetite. Many patients report improvement with arthritic symptoms and other chronic ailments often associated with the aging process.
- The adjusting technique used by your doctor will be modified for maximum comfort and results.
- As we get older and wiser, the simplicity and effectiveness of chiropractic care becomes more and more obvious.
Can pregnant women benefit from Chiropractic care?
Yes. Chiropractic is very important during pregnancy. Low back, mid and upper back pain often accompany pregnancy and drugs are to be avoided. Chiropractic, being a non-drug therapy is the logical choice for expecting mothers, making the pregnancy experience less stressful for the mother and the baby.